Resultados 1 al 9 de 9

Tema: Download/Upload options

Predeterminado Download/Upload options

I'm using CompePocket Air 1.09 on iPAQ 4700 running Windows CE 4.21 interfacing with a Garmin eTrex Vista (s/w 3.60) with a proprietary comms cable.

I can get CompePocket Air to communicate with the eTrex using the NMEA in/NMEA out protocol (but, curiously not the Garmin protocol!). Satellite tracking is fine and I can also upload (i.e. CompePocket Air to eTrex) Waypoints. However, all the CompePocket Air download options and the Send track/route options are unavailable (greyed out).

Is the option to download eTrex tracks to CompePocket Air disabled? Or, am I using the wrong settings? I was particularly looking forward to using this option to download tracks from my eTrex to CompePocket Air and then store and review them ...

Predeterminado

Hi GoThermal,

oops, I downloaded a track from an Etrex Summit last week. My communications option "protocol" was set to "Auto-Detect". It worked without any problem, no protocol change on the etrex necessary. I guess it was left on the default setting which should be Garmin - didn't check that as it was the device of a friend.

PocketAir V1.09, Windows Mobile 2003.

I just doublechecked the upload using my GPSmap60CS. Worked absolutely fine.

cheers
    gunther

Predeterminado

Hi Gunther

D'oh! Still no success with the downloading Tracks (nor using Garmin protocol) from my eTrex - it's still greyed-out in CompePocket Air.

I asssume it must be the cable ... I have no problems with CompeGPS Air and my eTrex (using the standard GPS-PC Serial cable).

Are you using a GPS connector (e.g. Garmin eTrex) to iPAQ PDA connector cable?

Cheers

GoThermal

Predeterminado

Hi GoThermal,

I am using a Fujitsu/Siemens Loox600 running WM2003. The cable is a self made Adapter etrex <-> standard serial cable. I purchased only the etrex connector.

If you switch to the NMEA-Protocol, the speed goes down to 4800 bps and some options of up/download-menu are disabled because they are not possible.

What happens, if you try to use the Garmin-Protocol? The up/download-options should all be enabled. Try to upload a small waypoint file - a small amount of data. What happens? Does communication start? Anything being displayed?

Remember to switch the etrex to Garmin protocol.

Cheers
    Gunther

Predeterminado

Hi Gunther,

Dutifully re-tried all the protocols/settings - with my setup, communication is only enabled when using "NMEA in/NMEA out" on the eTrex. Using this protocol (only!) I can see the satellites, track, and upload waypoints (so communication is in both directions).

For tracking, anyway, what's wrong with a rate of 4800 Baud? Even with the verbose NMEA protocol that's more than sufficient for a paraglider pilot ... :wink:

It's still the downloading of tracks saved on the eTrex which eludes me (now I understand with the NMEA protocol that it's "... not possible").

"... it must be the cable." The Garmin eTrex plug could be said to have 3+1 pins (with a gap between the 3 and 1 pins used for the orientation lug). On my ("proprietary") cable the +1 pin is omitted. Could this be the route cause of my problem? Where did you get the wiring plan for you cable from? Can it be adapted for a eTrex to USB-A cable?

Cheers

GoThermal

[Aside: Really impressed with dual GPS tracking functionality of CompePocket Air. With my BT GPS and eTrex both communicating with CompePocket Air I have discovered I can be in two places at the same time ... ]

Predeterminado

Cita Iniciado por GoThermal
    For tracking, anyway, what's wrong with a rate of 4800 Baud? Even with the verbose NMEA protocol that's more than sufficient for a paraglider pilot ... :wink:
    ...nothing is wrong with this rate and for sure it is sufficient ... however at lower speed communication errors are more unlikely to occur which would give an indication on a defect of the cable.

"... it must be the cable." The Garmin eTrex plug could be said to have 3+1 pins (with a gap between the 3 and 1 pins used for the orientation lug). On my ("proprietary") cable the +1 pin is omitted. Could this be the route cause of my problem? Where did you get the wiring plan for you cable from?
    The wiring plan is included in the etrex manual - which you can download from the garmin website. The "+1" pin is the anode (+) for the external power supply. It is not relevant for the communication.

Can it be adapted for a eTrex to USB-A cable?
    Definitely not. The etrex has a serial interface (RS232C). You need a spectial converter - with active components - to connect it to an USB port, it's not a matter of the wiring.

As far as I understood your problem: some options in the GPS > up/download are greyed out. Right? These are governed by the selected communications-protocol. So if the protocol in CompePocket is set to "Autodetect" and you go to "GPS > up/download" all menu options must be enabled even if no gps is connected! If this is not the case I would reinstall the software.

Cheers
    Gunther

Predeterminado

Hi Gunter,

Thanks for the reply and the detail ...

OK, then:

* Removed "CompePocket Air" using "Remove Program" on iPAQ
    * Removed all the left-over files/directories of "CompePocket Air" on iPAQ
    * Reinstalled "CompePocket Air" (1.09) from executable on PC
    * Entered my Registration details into "CompePocket Air"
    * Reset iPAQ
    * Set GPS (eTrex Vista) to "Garmin/9600" Protocol (switched off/on GPS)
    * Set Comms in "CompePocket Air":
    - [1] Comm1/Auto Detect/Auto Search
    - [2] Comm1/Garmin/Auto Search
    - [3] Comm1/Garmin/9600
    - ALL returned "... not found any GPS ..."
    * Set GPS to "NMEA in/NMEA out" Protocol:
    * Set Comms in "CompePocket Air":
    - [1] Comm1/Auto Detect/Auto Search
    AND, "... detect a GPS on Comm1"

With this setting:
    * NMEA shows in top right-hand corner of display
    * Can view satellites
    * Can send Waypoints to GPS (and view them on map)
    * AND, all other comms are greyed-out ...

(Then there's the "however" ..) However, I've tried another piece of software: Garmapce. Setting the comms to "eTrex Vista/Com 1/..." in Garmapce on the iPAQ, and to "Garmin" on the GPS I can download (GPS to iPAQ) Tracks using the same cable ...

Any suggestions ...

Cheers

Brian

Predeterminado

Hi Brian,

thanks for this detailed reply. The only conclusion out of this is: it's not the cable!

I forwarded the thread to the support. I have no idea how to sort this out. Unfortunately I don't have an etrex. I can only repeat myself - my loox works with my GPSMap 60CS without any problems.

For completeness you should also post the firmware release of the Vista (actual one is 3.60). The PC-version of CompeGPS will report this when download starts. It is also found in the properties of the track on the PC.

Cheers
    Gunther

Predeterminado

Hello,

This is the private answer we sent today to solve the problem:
    ------------------
    Hi Brian,

We found some problems when connecting to a Garmin GPS with a PocketPC 2003. It is very strange, because it works ok if we connect with an older PocketPC, like a PocketPC2002.

I have been working on this, and now we can download with no problems tracks from a PocketPC2003. It seems there is a problem with the timeouts in this pocketpc.

This is a LAND version which should download track with no problem, can you test it?
    http://hal.compegps.com/download/Set...2.0.b_beta.EXE

Once you and other people test this version, we will make a new official version of our AIR program.

Best Regards,
    Ivan Twose
    www.compegps.com