Resultados 1 al 6 de 6

Tema: Pocket init and map reading

Predeterminado Pocket init and map reading

Hi. I just installed CompeGPS on my Samsung Omnia i900 with built in GPS receiver.
    A few questions to start understanding the behaviour of this SW.

1) When I start the program a pop up is displayed from a process that reads all my maps....and it takes time. About 5 minutes!! In the map directory there are 30 maps about 500KB each in jpg format with the imp related files. Is there a way to bypass this step. How does it takes to read bigger maps? Days?
    This happen every time I start CompeGPS. Is this right?

2) After the maps reading operation the GPS start to fix...and again it takes time. I wonder if there's a way to speed up the fixing.

3) When fixed is there a way to automatically load the map where my position is fixed? I was using another SW before CompeGPS, and as the fix was performed the map where the point belongs to were self loaded.

4) Is there a way to measure (with a kind of ruler) distance between points?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Alberto

Predeterminado

First of all... Which version are you using??...

1-> By default, Compe search on whole your drives for maps. Edit your folder maps on configuration menu.
    2-> This is only a GPS related problem. Compe takes the same time to fix than the other GPS software, because is a hardware problem, nor a software one.
    3-> Yes. There is an option for search the best map on your possition
    4-> Yes, you can create a track or a route with two points (or more, you choose), and check the properties of this new track/route

Have a look into the new TwoNav software, because CompePocket is discontinuated one...
    Todo el día de arriba para abajo...

Predeterminado

Thanks for the fast reply (the fastest I've ever seen)!

1) OK. This probles is now solved.
    2) You are right, but some GPS SW use an extra cheat to find the satellite position for that time. So they can fix in few seconds with this aids. Is there anything similar for CompeGPS?
    3) I know that from the file menu I can access the "Best map for the position" but is always something that I have to do. I mean is there the possibility to have the map automatically loaded when the fix is ended?
    And what's happen when I exit from a map and enter the nearest one?
    4) OK. This was what I already did. I was speaking about a tool that could take the measure without involving a trak planning.

May be the TWONAV SW can be ineteresting, but I already have installed a very good and FREE GPS navigator with free and precise Italian maps (IGO and I don't know if TWONAV comes with Italian maps and if can give me the same performances of IGO8. Is there a way to test the TWONAV with the maps for my country?
    How big is it the whole installation (with road maps)?

Thanks again.
    Alberto

Predeterminado

Cita Iniciado por amarillis Ver mensaje
    1) OK. This probles is now solved.
    Great!!!
    2) You are right, but some GPS SW use an extra cheat to find the satellite position for that time. So they can fix in few seconds with this aids. Is there anything similar for CompeGPS?
    The aGPS function is not a software related again. My PDA (HTC Diamond) has aGPS function, and it's working on Compe or TomTom, for example, but I must run & configure a third driver named QuickGPS. Do you have anything like that on your PDA??...

3) I know that from the file menu I can access the "Best map for the position" but is always something that I have to do. I mean is there the possibility to have the map automatically loaded when the fix is ended?
    And what's happen when I exit from a map and enter the nearest one?
    Compe open (but not close) the best map on your possition. You could configure up to 3 maps for open together at the same time (on configure options. By default is set to 2 maps). If you enable your GPS, Compe will open the best map on your position. If you'll move out of this map, Compe will open a second map. If you have set up 2 maps, when you'll move again, then compe close the first map opened and open an other map... (hope you undertand what I mean)...

4) OK. This was what I already did. I was speaking about a tool that could take the measure without involving a trak planning.
    Nop, this is only avaliable on CompePocketPRO...

How big is it the whole installation (with road maps)?
    I don't know about italian maps, but iberian maps is about 230Mb.

Best regards...

Predeterminado

2) OK. The aGPS function is present on the OMNIA PDA too. It allows to download and activate the xtra file. I already have the xtra file on my PDA used to speed up the fix time in IGO 8. It works fine. Can you tell me where I have to put this file in order for CompeGPS to speed up its fix?

3) Sorry. I will try again. What I saw yesterday, at my home, was that after the first fix no map was loaded, even if the map for that area was present and claibrated with its .imp file.

I will look for technical info on TWONAV and what maps are available...

Alberto

Predeterminado

2) OK. The aGPS function is present on the OMNIA PDA too. It allows to download and activate the xtra file. I already have the xtra file on my PDA used to speed up the fix time in IGO 8. It works fine. Can you tell me where I have to put this file in order for CompeGPS to speed up its fix?
    No, I guess you are wrong... The aGPS system is AUTOMATIC. I mean, when you download de ephemerides, this will be upload into de hardware, and is no necessary any other thing to get it work...

I mean, Compe takes the same time for fix than other software.

3) Sorry. I will try again. What I saw yesterday, at my home, was that after the first fix no map was loaded, even if the map for that area was present and claibrated with its .imp file.
    So you are having problems with...
    a) Your folder path configuration
    b) Your maps calibration
    c) You are using a wrong CompePocket version

Wich version are you using??.. The last one is THIS.

Best regards...