Página 1 de 2 12 ÚltimoÚltimo
Resultados 1 al 10 de 15

Tema: Geocaching with Aventura

Predeterminado Geocaching with Aventura

Anybody using the Aventura for geocaching?

My tool chain to prepare a caching tour is based on GSAK and OziExplorer. I've used Magellan Meridian, Explorist and Triton before plus Garmin 60csx and Oregon 300. So I didn't want to use too specific software for preparation.

Aventura opens GPX and Ozi WPT, but uses only basic information from those file formats, CompeGPS WPT gives you a lot more options. Therefore I converted GPX or Ozi WPT to CompeGPS WPT in CompeGPS Land Basic till now and used a text editor for cosmetic changes. A bit boring as you might imagine... Now I've managed to write a very basic GSAK converter macro to generate a useable CompeGPS WPT with a simple mouse click . Very basic as I've mentioned, any hints how to make it better/ less buggy are welcome.

Predeterminado

Since it seems I'm the only geocacher at the moment using an Aventura I guess there's not much priority on any request concerning geocaching. Anyway, to give you some impression what could be handled better by TwoNav waypoint management GUI I've included a few screenshots.

screenshot wplist.jpg
    With geocaching it's quite common to take quite a lot of waypoints with you. Using different symbols helps a lot, but with several dozens of waypoints included in one file heavy scrolling is necessary to find the entry you're looking for. Sorting the whole list by distance would be extremely helpful.

screenshot wpprop.jpg and screenshot descedit.jpg
    Geocaching waypoint come with a lot of information: what kind of geocache is it? how difficult is it to find? what terrain is it hidden in? how big is the box you're looking for? and so on. Storing those informations in description field of a waypoint isn't much of a problem, reading it is, however. Using the waypoint properties dialogue you get one line with a little over 20 characters shown. Editing the description text isn't much better either. You could of course activate the "show description" view option to get the whole thing displayed on the map, but then there's not much of a map left to see... A second line in waypoint properties would really help. And, by the way, some bigger catching radius around a waypoint in map view; activating the contextual menue for a waypoint in map view needs several attempts most of the time and is only doable with stylus.

Best regards
    joschi
    Última edición por joschi; 10/09/2009 a las 00:05

Predeterminado

In case you want to check out for yourself or - maybe - even search for a cache or two in the sourrounding of CompeGPS headquarters I've created a little .wpt with so called traditional caches (the box is hidden at the given coordinates). Have fun
    Archivos adjuntados Archivos adjuntados

Predeterminado

Cita Iniciado por joschi Ver mensaje
    Since it seems I'm the only geocacher at the moment using an Aventura I guess there's not much priority on any request concerning geocaching.
    Are you sure?...

Don't worry... I know Compe is working on Geocaching functions for the TwoNav Software (also for the TwoNav on the Aventura, of course)...
    Todo el día de arriba para abajo...

Predeterminado

Cita Iniciado por CpA Ver mensaje
    Ah, I see...
    Cita Iniciado por CpA Ver mensaje
    Don't worry... I know Compe is working on Geocaching functions for the TwoNav Software (also for the TwoNav on the Aventura, of course)...
    Nice to know, thanx

Best regards
    joschi

Predeterminado

Hi, Does your GSAK macro work with a Sportiva?

Is there anyway of getting the cache description and clues as well as Cache logs similar to the Garmin Oregon?

I wish to replace my Oregon for the Sportiva for Geocaching.

Has CompeGPS come up with anything for Geocaching?
    Última edición por phillipsart; 16/04/2010 a las 23:45

Predeterminado

Hello Joschi, I have the Aventura and use your macro for geocaching. Thank you very much.

Predeterminado

Hello Joschi, I have the Aventura and use your macro for geocaching. Thank you very much.
    So do I.

Predeterminado

I'm still waiting on confirmation if this macro will work on a Sportiva?

I'm not going to try without knowing for sure.

Predeterminado

Cita Iniciado por phillipsart Ver mensaje
    I'm still waiting on confirmation if this macro will work on a Sportiva?
    I don't have a Sportiva to confrm it. Since Sportiva and Aventura share the same software I assume there should be no problem, though. In CompeGPS Land there's no option to choose wether you want to create a waypoint file for Sportiva or Aventura, is there? The GSAK macro creates a waypoint file compatible to those you can save in CGPSL.

At this moment waypoint handling and geocaching options on Aventura or Sportiva are more like Garmin Etrex or 60 series*. Oregon offers direct import of gpx with Groundspeak extension including cache description, logs and so on. Compe's waypoint file format would be able to store those informations, too. But reading it on the device is hilarious - you have exactly one line of description text displayed and a lot of scrolling to do. At the moment, as I said. Compe is working on special geocaching features for their devices. From what I've heard they want to go with gpx files directly. That's the reason I've stopped working on my macro for now.

*Edit: To avoid possible misunderstanding... Etrex and 60 series don't have paperless caching features like Colorado, Oregon and Dakota devices. Just like Aventura and Sportiva you have to go with more or less simple waypoints which offer only very limited data fields besides waypoint name and coordinates. What Garmin's devices do offer, however, are essential features like sorting waypoints by distance from your actual position or marking a geocache waypoint as "found". Those features you'll miss on Aventura or Sportiva at the moment.

On the other hand there are some pro's for Compe devices, too. Storing waypoints is file based. So it's possible to take lots of different waypoint files with you which can be activated or deactivated on demand; former Magellan users for example should be familiar with this concept and the possibility to organize geocaches in different files by region, category, whatsoever.
    The second - from my perspective: big - advantage is the (unlimited?) storage capacity in a waypoint dataset's description field. Where Garmin's waypoints allow you to write only 49 characters, Aventura and Sportiva waypoints accept really long descriptions. I began writing this GSAK macro with exactly this feature in mind, looking for a way to generate waypoint descriptions as useful as possible. Usually I set a one letter short cachetype info plus difficulty and terrain rating plus Groundspeak's cache id as the first 20 characters of the waypoint description; that's what you always get displayed when navigating to a waypoint. If I don't find the box at once I have to go to the waypoint list on my Aventura and read the rest of the decription: the date the cache was last found, the owner's name (in case I want to use a "telephone joker") and a hint, if available.
    The third - no doubt: biggest - advantage is the possibility to associate spoiler images to a waypoint. I haven't used this in my macro yet since I'm not very familiar with spoiler sync or any other GSAK features or addons to automatically get image files from Groundspeak's website. I'm a little concerned, too, whenever I have to rely on third-party stuff in my coding... Nevertheless, associating spoiler images to a geocache waypoint is something you don't get on any other device (except Magellan Triton, but it's a pain in the ass to create those links).

I've stopped working on this next big step in my macro since I don't know for sure what we will see from Compe itself. Rumor has it Compe is working on some geocaching features for one of the next software releases. Rumor has it Compe will go with direct gpx file support similar to Garmin Colorado, Oregon and Dakota. If they do so, my waypoint macro will become obsolete.
    If they do so, I hope Compe won't stop creating a simple gpx reader as Garmin did more or less. Don't take me wrong on this - getting all the information stored in a gpx including Groundspeak extension fields on your device without any need of PC based conversion was a big step forward then, but only the first step. Garmin's devices are now handling three different sets of waypoints in different ways and with different limitations: waypoints, poi and geocaches. From my point of view that's less than ideal, to be polite. E.g. if you want to do a multi cache (for non-geocachers: a geocache where you have to visit multiple waypoints first before searching the final coordinates) you usually have to create a waypoint for each of the intermediate stations; getting there you have to switch back to the original geocache to access the description where you can read what's to do here. Taking notes on the way is a pain in the ass, most Garmin users I know still use paper for this. No problem for most of them, of course, since they still print their spoiler pictures instead of using the device's image viewer. So much for paperless caching...
    Última edición por joschi; 07/05/2010 a las 09:57

Página 1 de 2 12 ÚltimoÚltimo