Resultados 1 al 6 de 6

Tema: What is meant by GPS precision and HDOP?

Predeterminado What is meant by GPS precision and HDOP?

While playing with my Aventura I enabled the data fields Precision and HDOP (see the red fields below in the data bar).

The manual explains HDOP as "Horizontal Dilution Of Precision (estimated current accuracy of the GPS)".

As I can see HDOP is always less than Precision.
    Can anybody explain in more detail what is meant by these two data fields?

Thanks & best regards,
    Thomas
    Imágenes adjuntadas Imágenes adjuntadas

Predeterminado

Hello Thomas,

Cita Iniciado por loopguru Ver mensaje
    While playing with my Aventura I enabled the data fields Precision and HDOP
    HDOP is the short cut for Horizontal Dilution of Precision and Precision mean the estimated position error (EPE). In your native language german can your read the despcription for both parameter in glossary of this forum http://www.naviuser.at/forum/index.php. If you have another question for the both standard parameter, please ask me in German language in this forum. My English is to bad for explanation in English language.

greetings Joern Weber

Pascal Guest

Predeterminado

HDOP is a common statistic number in all GPS receiver which estimate the quality of the reception in horizontal manner (VDOP is for vertical precision). This number means "nothing" to normal user.
    Precision is the traduction of HDOP in normal langage (=in meter).

Predeterminado

Hello,

Cita Iniciado por Pascal Ver mensaje
    traduction
    This word is unknown in me english dictionary, but me French dictionary do know it as "translation".

The precision of a GPS receiver can't we not measure with absolute precision. Also the precision value of Aventura is only a value with a discrete probability. This values have different units and backgrounds. The precision is for normally user better readable.

greetings Joern Weber

Pascal Guest

Predeterminado

yes french speaking english in Spain is quite confusing sometimes

Predeterminado

Don't ever deny access (display) to HDOP because a number of government agencies use that as part of dealing with taking people to court. As an example, the fisheries department here in Perth, Western Australia use it to convict people for taking fish that are undersize and use a GPS co-ordinate to show exactly where the person was caught. The HDOP gives an indication of the precision at the time of the reading thus ensure the co-ordinate reading is reliable.
    gpstechnologies.com.au
    gpsaustralia.net