Resultados 1 al 9 de 9

Tema: How do you score pilots with no track log ?

Predeterminado How do you score pilots with no track log ?

Pilots may have flown with their track log in OFF or had any other problem ... how do you usually score them ? ABS (Absent), NYP (Not yet processed) or assign minimum distance ?
    I guess giving minimum distance will devalue the task ...

Predeterminado

NYP is a temporal state, when the pilot isn't processed, but this estate don't have meanig if the competition are finished and all the pilots are processed.

Absent (ABS) isn't correct because the pilot was present in the task.

Neither DNF because it causes more decrease in the task points.

I think that in this general case, I would put minimum range that's what will vary lees the task results in general.
    Oriol Paituví

Support CompeGPS
    www.compegps.com

Predeterminado

It depends what your rules are...the point of using GPSs for verification is that there is no chandce of pilots lying/cheating. You would hope that this doesn't happen but by having a tight system, there are zero doubts by conmpetitors that they weren't scored properly.

For formal events, I have taken the stance that "no track log, no score". It is a bit harsh but people sure learn to use their GPSs faster and won't make that same mistake again.

I even require launches to be recorded by the GPS to prove that they launched in the proper launch time. And I would hope that if there were turnpoints in your task, you didn't take the pilot's word that they made the turnpoint (without a track log showing) as it isn't fair to other competitors that had their GPS successfully recorded a turnpoint. This is the entire reason we use GPS!

I recently had to give a pilot a zero for the day after being one of four pilots for making goal. His GPS tracklog recording was turned off and his GPS was empty. He should have finished the competition in the top 10 but ended up dead last overall. Luckily, he was a good sport about it and it didn't spoil his acheivment nor his taste for compeititon.

oyvind Guest

Predeterminado No track log

I would very much have the opportunity to score pilots without tracklog. There are many reasons and scenarios where this is possible. For example when a pilot have many witnesses both on takeoff and landing out on a one-way task to goal. In our rules he's awarded the distance, but CompeGPS does not let me do this for now as far as I've been able to figure out.

- Oyvind

Predeterminado

I'd be cautious about starting to just take people's word on if and when a competitor launched. You just open up the option of cheating - you don't like to think any of your participants would do such a thing but if you don't allow informal witnesses, competitors don't leave your event even thinking that they weren't scored fairly.

Predeterminado

To answer your question on how to score a person without any tracklog...are you using Race? Or using the built in scoring within CompeGPS?

Predeterminado Empty Track Logs

Well Mark, I was using RACE but probably this season (southern hemisphere)we will use the new CompeGPS v.6

Does v.6 have a predefined treatment for these track logs ?

With launch marshalls (and presents lists) maybe minimum distance can be awarded to empty track logs?
    You need launch marshalls to testify for DNF cases ...

Predeterminado

I don't have ANY experience with the built in scoring part of CompeGPS. I've always been happy with its integration so I have stuck with that.

You will have to get this answer from the CompeGPS people.

oyvind Guest

Predeterminado Manual scoring

Hi!

I've also used RACE to do this, it's not possible in current versions of CompeGPS. But I have been promised this functionality from the CompeGPS guys.

It a fundemental question that I think the developers have failed to ask themselvs - Who decides how to score the pilot?

The only correct answer is the scorer. There will always be different rules and practices around the world in small and big comps. The jurys will make strange decitions that needs to be implemented in the scoring (Example - "The pilot 5 and 8 will be penalized 30% of the winners score for cloud flying" Try to do that in CompeGPS...)

CompeGPS must let the scorer do everything manually if he wants to, CompeGPS is just a tool to make the scoring easier.

Best regards,
    Oyvind