Resultados 1 al 7 de 7

Tema: What is the best PDA or Smartphone for CompeGPS Pocket Air ?

Predeterminado What is the best PDA or Smartphone for CompeGPS Pocket Air ?

Hello,

I am a paraglider, and instead of buying a classic GPS, I would like to use a device with a moving map in color.
    CompeGPS Pocket Air is exactly what I need, but know I need to buy the device...
    - What is the best PDA to run CompeGPS ? what GPS receiver should I buy? bluetooth or cable?
    - Is it also possible to install CompeGPS on a Smartphone with external GPS (like the Qtek S200) ?

Thx

Predeterminado

Hi,

the batteries of all PDAs are more ore less designed for non-continous usage in order to save weight.

I have been running CompePocket Air with moving map on my PDA (an old FSC Pocket Loox 300) together with a Garmin GPS connected via cable til the battery died which was the case after about 1.5 hours!

If you use BT all the time, the battery will be drained soon! BT consumes power! So the key issue is that you need an external battery pack anyway!

A solution might be e.g. the FSC Loox 520 which has a new SIRF III receiver built in! This would avoid BT usage and you will not have to worry about how to handle the cables on your cockpit.

There is a Smartphone version of CompeGPS which however has some limitations. You should look at the homepage for more info.

Hope that helps
    Gunther

Predeterminado

Thank you Gunther.

I am now looking for the Qtek s200, with is a all in one phone+PDA (I would like to have only one device in my pocket).
    Two question:
    - is it possible to use a cable GPS or is it only bluetooth?
    - will the battery be strong enough for a 4 hours flight?

Thx.

By the way, if there is a Windows Mobile phone/PDA/GPS on the market, let me know

Predeterminado

I am currently running a Vodafone VPA III, which seems to be somewhat similar.

I had to look around for a serial cable for this device but finally I found a supplier. Now I'm using it to download tracks from my GPS.

I doubt that this device will operate longer than 2 hours: it's more electronics and if you are logged into a phone network, its even more.

You might consider to buy a SD GPS Card. There should be some suppliers for these cards (google for SD-Card and GPS). However for the maps you will be restricted to the internal memory which should be sufficient if you load only the area of interest.

You should carefully check the specs of the QTEK to make sure, that the SD-slot of the QTEK is I/O compliant! Some PDAs have SD-slots for Memory only!

Hope that helps
    Gunther
    [/list]

Predeterminado Compatibility

Hi, I am a an English Pilot flying in Namibia and want to purchase a PDA and software to provide me with a moving map GPS.

Do you have map coverage of Namibia, Botswana and South Africa?

Is the software compatible with a Dell Axim X50?

Are there any PDA's that it is not cmpatible with?

Many thanks.

Predeterminado

I've used Dell Axim x50v until last year. Is a very old PDA (WITHOUT GPS) and with small RAM memory...

It was working right, but I cannot use a lot of maps (memory problems), and it is difficult to see under the sun...

I guess the better option in this moment is to buy an Aventura or a Sportiva GPS (you could check it under http://www.twonav.com ).

Best regards...
    Todo el día de arriba para abajo...

Predeterminado Map coverage

Can anyone confirm how good the map coverage is for Namibia?
    Are there airports on the database etc?
    Is there an additional charge for the maps?
    Thanks