Resultados 1 al 8 de 8

Tema: Creating and editing a new track results in wrong distance

Predeterminado Creating and editing a new track results in wrong distance

I have created and edited a track with CompeGPS Land 7.3.1 using the Germany_Topo Map.

CompeGPS Land shows a distance of 8.030 km. This distance looked wrong, so I exported the track as *.GPX and opened it in different programs (Garmin MapSource, TTQV). Both showed 11.7 km
    It seems the distance calculation in Land is bugged.

BUG.TRK

Predeterminado

You a right. When I edit a track that I have registered with my Garmin GPS the distances Land 7.3 indicates are very often completely wrong. In some cases the program indicates exactly the same distance for several dots placed at a distance of some hundreds meters, as if I had climed the mountain vertically. I reported these errors some months ago and the company has not solved them; I think it is a shame!

Predeterminado

I have experimented some more with this Problem. It seems to affect recorded tracks as well. I observed that the 'Points list' conatins errors. The 'Distance between points' was 0 for the first few points. It should have been only for the first point since it doesn't have a predecessor to compute a distance from.

It seems I a have found a workaround. Maybe it will point to the bug in the program.

1) I close the the track
    2) in the Options... Menu change the Coordinates from 'Lat/Long' to 'UTM Projection'
    3) reopen the track
    Now the Points list seems to be in order and 'Distance between points' is shown for points except the first one.
    Distance seem to be correct after doing so.
    Última edición por thiesy; 14/04/2012 a las 12:39

Predeterminado

Hi,

anybody ever thought about the setting menu>option>track>minimum moving speed ?
    If i set it to 0km/h i got 11,72 km.
    ----------------------
    Gruss
    regards
    saludos
    cordialement

Gert

www.Twonav-gps.de - - - www.garda-gps.de for Twonav

Predeterminado

I think I found the solution. It is a problem of understanding the program (both on PC and in the GPS). The 'projected distance' seems to be dependend on the fact whether the file is open or closed.
    If the file is open it shows the distance along the track, for the closed file it shows the a different distance. Maybe it is the direct distance from start to end point.
    I am not certain about the zero distance I described in #3, as I have deleted the files. It may have been due to rounding while displaying the points list.
    I am sorry if I have caused confusion.

Jörg

Predeterminado Problem solved setting the minimum moving speed to 0 km/h

Thanks Papaluna. I had an edited track with several sets of points which showed the same distance from the beginning. As a result, the total distance of the track (even the projected distance) was between 11 and 14 % too short. I had set the minimum moving speed (in Options > Track) to 0.4 km/h because I was told so by the support service in order to solve this same problem I had in case of other tracks. Maybe it solved the problem with other tracks, but not with this one. Now I have set the minimum moving speed to 0 km/h as suggested by Papaluna and the program shows the exactly the right distances and in the list of points every point shows a different distance from the beginning of the track, as it should be. I am very happy.

By the way, could anybody explain what does "minimum moving speed" mean? I do not understant what has to do the speed with measuring distances!

Predeterminado

"minimum moving speed"

Lets have a look what the manual(Twonav Sportiva 2.5 section 4.9.18 Advanced) says

• Minimum moving speed: field which fixes the minimum speed considered movement. Speeds under this value won’t be counted as movements (will be considered as 0 km/h).

What does it mean ?
    If theres was no movement at least no distance was covered.
    So all "movements", e.g. drifting if you stand still, where the speed of movement is below these threshold, won't be taken to calculate the distance.
    Usually this gives a more realistic measurement.
    Keep in mind to set the same values in CGPSL and your device. Otherwise you may get variations in calculated distance.
    ----------------------
    Gruss
    regards
    saludos
    cordialement

Gert

www.Twonav-gps.de - - - www.garda-gps.de for Twonav

Predeterminado

Many thanks for you explanation. So this has only sense if you have made your track with a Twonav or other GPS device and have not manually "cleaned" it. But when you are creating or editing a track with the CompeGPS Land program, the minimum moving speed should be set to 0 km/h. This should be clearly explained in the manual. And it think the minimum moving speed should be better set to 0 km/h by default. Maybe when editing a track the minimum moving speed should be set to 0 km/h or a warning should appear.