Resultados 1 al 9 de 9

Tema: "automatic" tracklog recording

Predeterminado "automatic" tracklog recording

Hi,

I have configured my Aventura to record track points in an "automatic" manner, that is, Tracklog is configured with "recording interval=automatic", regarding which the manual says:
    "Automatic: the track will be automatically recorded when changing course and depending on speed. In a straight line, the program will record few points."

Now, after riding a long trip (65 km), I got a huge track file (over 15000 points). Looking at the points I noted that many points were recorded during a food-break, where the bike was resting (speed=0). What is the point of recording many points where the coordinates do not change a bit, and the speed is 0?

In contradistinction, my old Garmin Vista (also set on Automatic recording), recorded just a few points during the break -- it "noted" that the device is in rest, and just stopped recording until we resumed the ride -- which is what I would expect from an "automatic" setting.
    My questions are -- am I doing anything wrong? and if not, what is the recommended setting for the recording interval (for mountain bike)?
    Thanks!

Predeterminado

Hi Oshy,

you are not wrong.

1. automatic mode imo is not as good as the one in my Garmin 60csx was
    2. personally i(and other users) prefer a setting time: every 3 sec a point on the MTB; but at least you have to play to find the setting which best fits you needs

may be in future version there will be a automatic start/stop feature for it. I remember i read something on the FEEDBACK/SUGGESTION page of CompeGPS
    ----------------------
    Gruss
    regards
    saludos
    cordialement

Gert

www.Twonav-gps.de - - - www.garda-gps.de for Twonav

Predeterminado

Thanks, papaluna!

I did a little research to find out why the Aventura keeps recording while at a complete rest. Well, I found that although it was in complete rest -- it did not think so! The computed position keeps moving about the stopped position -- a meter here, a meter there... The computed speed is not zero (although the device is in rest!). The heading changes rapidly as well -- because I configured the heading to be "automatic" as well (that is, a combination of magnetic and GPS heading, that depends on the speed). Related to this is the setting of "minimal speed": I found that the lower it is -- the more the device becomes "nervous" while being completely stopped. A higher value adds "damping" to the computed heading (in automatic mode), because then the heading is taken from the compass and not from the unreliable GPS heading while being stopped).
    Also, there is a related setting of "static navigation" -- how should this be set? I found that compeGPS wrote somewhere that this should be eliminated -- so why is it included in the lastest (2.5.2) version?...

Based on my findings so far, I think I will set the heading to be based on the compass only (i.e., magnetic); the recording interval will be set to either 3 sec (time) as you suggest, or about 10 m (distance) (but not automatic); the minimum speed to about 2 km/h (MTB use); and the static navigation to "on".

What do you think?

By the way, I read the manual; it is not very helpful in these matters. Some settings are not mentioned there at all...

(a bit disappointing, I must say, when I compare the new Aventura to my old Garmin Vista HCx...it's only a matter of software, so these irritating issues can be solved!)

Predeterminado

Hi Papaluna,
    Thanks for your reply. I am still checking my configuration. From recordings I downloaded from the internet, it seems that people do use automatic recordings, because it does not look like they record every fixed number of seconds, nor does it look like they record every fixed number of meters. Hence, I wonder how they get rid of those zero-speed recordings? I noticed the parameter "Static Navigation", which I can turn on or off. Perhaps it is relevant, according to what I read somewhere. How should I configure this parameter for MTB riding?
    Also, there is an option to disconnect the GPS while stopped (under autonomy). Should I enable this disconnection?
    Thanks!

Predeterminado

Automode tracklogging mayor issue is, that on straight parts with only smooth curves but curves, you will get fully straightend tracklog. So usual accurat heavy curves but straightened rest.

Static-Navigation
    some time ago more sensitiv GPS receivers like SIRFIII came on market. Because of their better responsivity they are also more vulnerable(e.g for reflections of the signal)at low speed conditions.
    So "Static-Navigation" was invented to prevent a possible fidgeting posion pointer(e.g. if you waiting with your car in front of traffic lights).
    This function takes care that position will not be updated on low speed (< ~4,5km/h) an so the position pointer doesn't move to much.
    But if you walk/hike or bike this may cause a really straightend tracklogging because low speed parts are surpressed.
    So only in combination with car/motobike it makes sense to use it.

disconnect the GPS while stopped
    This stops GPS-receiver part of the device if speed is below??? for a significant time???
    If this is fullfilled also a message appears if you wanna reconnect it.
    BUT there is no yet NO automatic restart.
    So under circumstances(if you do not noticed it) you may not have a tracklog of the following part of you trip.

deleting Speed = 0

CGPSL: you may open tracks trackpoint list and sort by speed. Than you can delete them all.
    Attention: keep in mind that Menu>File>Options>track>min. Moving speeds influences which points are shown with speed 0.
    ----------------------
    Gruss
    regards
    saludos
    cordialement

Gert

Predeterminado

Hi Papaluna,
    Thanks for your clear answers! I understand that "static navigation" is not for me (as an MTB rider); still, yesterday I went for a ride with static navigation ON (ticked), and I think it did not do anything.... Certainly, the device kept recording many points while being at a full rest (the points were jumping all over the place, although the device did not move at all). Again, my setting was "automatic" for tracklog recording.
    The other solutions -- disconnecting the GPS while at rest, or deleting points with speed=0 after the ride (using Land) -- are good, but have their problems, as you correctly pointed out.
    So, I think compeGPS guys need to come out with a software update for twoNav, that will include a decent "Automatic Tracklog recording" -- like Garmin has!

Do you think it would be worthwhile to send a question to Support?
    Thanks very much!

Predeterminado

Hi Oshy,

a better place for suggestions is Compes extra page for FEEDBACK/SUGGESTION
    I already mentioned it above.
    If there is not already already a post regarding improving "auto-mode" in tacklog recording, create it by yourself and gather supporters of that suggestion.
    ----------------------
    Gruss
    regards
    saludos
    cordialement

Gert

Predeterminado

Thanks, Papaluna. I have submitted a ticket to the Support Team, and see what kind of response I get from them. If they tell me (like you did) that there is NO good solution, and I should NOT use Tracklog on Automatic Mode, then I will definitely submit a suggestion to Feedback/Suggestion concerning a better automatic recording. I do not see a reason why compeGPS can't do what Garmin has been doing for ages...
    Best regards!

Predeterminado

Update: After submitting a ticket to the support team, and having a correspondence with them, it turns out that there is currently no way to record tracks *efficiently* in Automatic Mode. They did come up with suggestions, including manually pausing the Tracklog, but I do not consider this to be a good solution. The device should sense when it is stopped and pause recording useless points by itself (and resume recording when motion resumes, of course).
    Hence, I have submitted an idea to Feedback/Suggestion, as you have suggested, and it is under review.
    Thanks!